As a caregiver, practicing self-care might feel like you’re being selfish, but remember that the best caregiver is a healthy caregiver. You can’t take care of another person’s health if you don’t take care of your own. The first step is to figure out what makes you feel healthy and happy. Even if it’s for a few minutes, add something you love to your daily routine, like calling a friend during your drive to work, reading your favorite book, or listening to something funny while eating a healthy breakfast.
Making little adjustments to your day can have a big impact on your overall wellness. Our counselors are available to help you build your own wellness plan with healthy habits. Call (407) 644-7671 or visit JFSorlando.org/counseling to request a counseling appointment.
Safety Tips for Fall Prevention
There are many things you can do to make your home safer and prevent falls.
Some ways to decrease your risk are to:
1. Remove objects you can trip over, such as rugs;
2. Tape down all cords and only leave out appliances you regularly need. If you rarely use an electronic, considering storing it when not in use;
3. Avoid using a step stool or ladder. Instead, ask a friend or relative to retrieve items that are out of reach;
4. Avoid spills, and keep towels around the house to wipe them up quickly;
5. Install a non-slip surface to your bathtub;
6. Wear non-slip socks or slippers around your home;
7. Ensure your house is well-lit, especially at night;
8. Add handrails and grab bars as needed.