Choosing a Home Care Company
At the Jewish Pavilion’s Orlando Senior Help Desk, we’re often asked to recommend a home care company. There are a number of things to consider, such as your caregiver’s experience level. Ideally, your caregiver will have experience working with individuals whose medical needs are similar to your own. Any home companion you hire should have good training and continuing education. In addition, consider the interpersonal skills your caregiver should possess: warmth, compassion, attentiveness, patience, etc.
Here are other questions to ask an agency:
- What specific services do you offer, and what are your fees?
- What certifications do your caregivers have?
- Do you conduct a background check for all employees, including references and criminal history?
- How long has your agency been in business?
- Is there a minimum number of hours for hiring a caregiver?
- Are family members included in your design of a care plan?
- How does one add or reduce shifts on the care plan?
- How is technology used to improve the quality of care?
- Who do I call with questions or complaints, and how are problems resolved?
While most seniors face major adjustments when transitioning to an elder-care community, Jewish seniors face additional challenges. Not only do they lose their homes, and many of their friends, but they also lose ties to their cultural heritage. This is where the Jewish Pavilion, a 501c3 non-profit, steps in. The Pavilion serves as a resource that provides room visits, festive holiday celebrations, and more to 450 Jewish residents across 50 senior facilities. The Jewish Pavilion promotes inclusion, and thousands of seniors of all faiths are welcomed into our programs.
The Orlando Senior Help Desk (407-678-9363) helps thousands of callers navigate their way through the daunting senior maze, alleviating caregiver stress while giving advice on all types of elder issues.